Monday, September 16, 2013

Beautiful Voices 3



Something For Everyone
Tom Waits, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presly and James Brown on one single compilation? That's right. And that should say it all.

This album is the true test of people who like to answer "everything" to those who ask "what kind of music do you listen to?" Besides Elvis's stunning performance of the oldies radio staple, "Blue Moon," Carl Perkins and Big Joe Turner add to the 50's flavor with "Honey Don't" and "Shake, Rattle & Roll."

But there is a second and even a third genre of music fighting for attention on this album. Louis armstrong's "If" is one of the most outstanding jazz performances of his early period. If you want more contemporary-sounding jazz, try Brenda Russel's "Baby Eyes" or "When Love Walked In." Perhaps one step above any of those selections is the legendary Nat King Cole's "Darling, Je Vous Aime Beaucoup."

Then, of course, there is Tom Waits, who has...

Liberty Heights
Okay, I'm cheating a little. I've only seen the movie, I haven't, strictly speaking, heard the soundtrack in isolation yet. The Tom Waits songs seem jarringly anacronistic in the movie but are so great that out of the context of the rich visuals of the mid-50's period, will make for great listening. The music and the movie capture the yearnings of a young man in '55, as well as the spirit of his times with gentle nostalgia.

Music at its best!
I saw the Liberty Heights movie 3 times, and that inspired me to buy the Two soundtracks! "Baby Eyes" sang by Brenda Russell is simply breathtaking, it's jazzy and classy. I love the smooth sounds of that song. "Putting on the dog" is amazing, it really fit with the scene in the movie when it was playing. "Putting on the dog" is quite sexy and brilliant and risky! "Rock island line" is the funniest song that I've ever heard! "Rock island line" is a mix of country and Alaskan sounds, I loved it! "Shake. Rattle & Roll" done by Big Joe Turner is really good, has a lot more beat than Billy Haley and his Comets' version. "Shake. Rattle & Roll" had me tapping my feet and snapping my fingers all day after hearing it! "Blue moon" done by Elvis Presley is lovely, has a pretty jingle beat to it. "Please. Please. Please." done by James Brown, is TOO cool! You can't help but to chant...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment